Monday 7 July 2008

Heaven Scent - Rebecca Talley Interview

Interview With Rebecca Talley – Heaven Scent

Heaven Scent author, Rebecca Talley, kindly consented to giving me an interview.

LDSNewcomers:

The overarching theme in this story seems to be the importance of parent child relationships and putting family first. Yet there are several other sub-themes, if you will: religion and its role in changing lives, faith, hope, repentance, forgiveness, listening to the promptings of the spirit. Did you start out intending to present so many themes or ideas, or did that just come about as a natural part of the creative process?

Rebecca:

I didn’t intend to present any themes, really. I just wanted to write the story that was in my head. As I worked on the story, I could see it developing themes, but I wanted to share the story first. These themes just seemed to be an innate part of this particular story.
LDSNewcomers:

In Heaven Scent you do a wonderful job of capturing, through Liza, what I like to call “brain twisting” awkward moments when someone you have a crush on is near and you can’t seem to think straight, let alone say something coherent. Did you write those scenes based solely on your own experience, or did you get some input from your own teenagers?

Rebecca:

I remembered those experiences from my own awkward teenage life, but I also watched and listened to my teenagers. I think it’s a universal sickness that happens to most, if not all, teenagers when a crush is near. I remember saying and doing things that were so embarrassing and I tried to capture that for my character.

LDSNewcomers:

You’ve mentioned, in a previous interview, that your parents passed away when you were young and that your grandparents raised you. How did the experience of losing your parents at a young age influence the writing of your story?

Rebecca:

I’ve often felt my parents’ presence, especially my mom’s. I wanted to write a story that explored my feelings that those we’ve loved and lost are never far from us.

LDSNewcomers:

In the book you do a great job of presenting multiple story threads—Liza’s relationship, or lack thereof, with her father; Liza relationship with her mother and brother; Liza’s budding friendship with Kyle; Liza’s Dad’s relationship with the family; Claire’s relationship with her husband; Claire’s rediscovery of her relationship with God; Liza’s, and even her Father’s, budding relationship with God. It’s really a story-weaving masterpiece. What advice would you give to aspiring authors in regard to developing a strong plot and multiple sub-plots?

Rebecca:

I think there needs to be a strong main plot and that the sub-plots all need to support the main plot. I wanted all the sub-plots to come together and have an effect on the main plot. I think when the main plot is cooler, the sub-plot(s) needs to heat up so that there’s always something going on. The main plot has to be important enough to matter to the reader and the sub-plots need to make sense to the story as a whole.
LDSNewcomers:

Others have asked about whether or not you are going to do a sequel. I have the same question, but with a twist. Being a man, what I’d like to know is whether or not you’d ever consider doing one from the Father’s point of view – him trying to find his way back to Liza and find his way to God?

Rebecca:

Yes, I have been asked about writing a sequel. Though I have a sequel in my head, I’m not sure I’d have the opportunity to write it until we see how well Heaven Scent is received. I would certainly be interested in writing a sequel. And, yes, I would consider writing in her father’s POV for a portion of the story. That’s an interesting idea.

LDSNewcomers:

You’ve also written a children’s book Grasshopper Pie and an article in The Friend magazine. You seem to have a wonderful knack for keeping things simple and easygoing. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors in this regard?

Rebecca:

I’m not a flowery writer, that’s just not my style. I think it’s an individual choice and each author has his or her own way of writing. I think writers should write in a way that pleases them, whether that’s in a simple way or a more complex style. I like to write in a way that makes reading my work easy.

LDSNewcomers:

Any other thoughts or ideas you’d like to share with aspiring authors?

Rebecca:

Keep writing, don’t ever give up. Dreams really do come true.

LDSNewcomers:

Thanks Rebecca, for taking the time to share your expertise. I really appreciate it.

Rebecca:

Thank you for hosting my book on your blog. I appreciate it!

4 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Great interview - you asked really good questions. Thanks for sharing.

Nichole Giles said...

Randall,
I loved this book as well. Rebecca did a great job on it.

Great interview!

Nichole

Rebecca Talley said...

Thanks, Randy :)

Cindy Beck, author said...

Randy,
Good review and interview. And I loved your question as to whether Rebecca would consider a sequel from the dad's point of view. That would make for a really interesting book. I hope Rebecca takes your suggestion!